The 6th Annual Beer + Cider Pro/Am is set for this Sunday at the Leftbank Annex in North Portland. It’s a unique event that brings together a professional brewer with an amateur one to create one-off brews that are only available at the festival. During the event, the brewers are on-site to pour their creations.
When: October 14th, 2018 from 1pm-6pm (noon entry for VIP)
Entry: $30 for 30 two-ounce tastes, commemorative pint glass; $40 for VIP, $10 for Designated Driver / Non-drinker
Where: Leftbank Annex, 101 N Weidler St, Portland, OR 97227
You know how there can be a tangible vibe in a room full of people? This event was extremely positive last year. There was something about the attitude of the entrants that was very appealing. I saw beaming smiles on amateur brewers faces as they got to explain their beer to the general public. Professional brewers let them take the reigns for the most part, but were still at their tables explaining process to anyone that was curious to know.
As with traditional brewery or cidery collaborations, friendships are formed around these recipes. Connections are made or strengthened. The event on Sunday is a public display of teamwork, and a great example of unity within the community on a smaller scale. Some brew teams have a lot of fun with decorating their tables, adding to the overall excitement.
The Pro/Am is unique in that it doesn’t limit what you can taste. They want you to try all the beers and ciders! Samples are a little smaller than an average brewfest because of it, limited to around two-ounces. It can be a lot, especially if a particular style isn’t your favorite. Dump buckets were readily available, as I’m sure will be the case this year.
Make sure to keep note of your favorites! There’s both People’s Choice and Judges’ Choice awards at the end.
The Leftbank Annex is new venue this year, praise the beer gods. The bathroom situation was a bit precarious last October and needed a solution. For a complete picture of last year’s event, read my write-up.
I’m looking forward to trying things this year, as I’ve heard whispers of what friends have been up to. See you out there!
2018 Pro/Am Pairings
- Erik Nelson with 54-40 Brewing Co
- Kristen Walters with Alameda Brewing Co.
- Jason Jaimie with Ascendant/ PINTS Brewing Company
- Ezra Johnson-Greenough & Heather Egizio with Baerlic Brewing Co.
- Andrew Bisbee with Bianary Brewing
- Ritch Marvin with Breakside Brewery
- Jarret Creason & John Moore with Coalition Brewing
- Bill Schneller with Culmination Brewing Company
- Felicia Reninger with Dirty Pretty
- Dean Ehnes with Ecliptic Brewing
- Coyan Corder with Evasion Brewing
- Chad Graham with Ex Novo Brewing
- Dwayne Smallwood with Fort George Brewery
- Will Minderhout with Funhouse Brews
- George Dimeo with Gigantic Brewing Company
- Stephen Smith with Great Notion Brewing
- Dan Schlegel with The Green Dragon Brew Pub
- Barry Webb with Leikam Brewing Company
- Jack Hall & Gordon Penner with Level Beer
- Dan Trimarco with Lompoc Brewing
- Mike Marsh with McMenamins Edgefield
- Brandon Kilpatrick with Sasquatch Brewing Company
- Margaret Havlik with Second Profession Brewing Company
- Jeff Roth with Three Mugs Brewing Company
- Parker & John Hall with Upright Brewing
- Ashley Rose Salviti with Widmer Brothers Brewing
- Craig Vanaken with Zoiglhaus Brewing Company
- Corrie Heath with AVID Cider Company
- Nathan Mock with Bauman’s Cider
- John Drake with New West Cider
- Roxanne Kilpatrick with Portland Cider Co.
- Jenn & Jeremie McPolanders with Schilling Cider
- Miranda Karson with Swift Cider
What Cause Does the Pro/Am Benefit?
Proceeds of the event benefit Oregon Wild, an organization that “works to protect and restore Oregon’s wildlands, wildlife and waters as an enduring legacy for all Oregonians.”
Food & Entertainment
Music by DJ LeMix, a tech house, progressive, yet minimal DJ based out of Georgia.